Monday, February 14, 2011

Still Single on Valentine's Day

Aside from the fact that it's a day before payday, February 14 never really meant anything special to me. Go figure. (Did you just feel the angst in that statement? Hehehe!) I didn't have the need to book dinner reservations, plan surprises or buy gifts. It's always been another ordinary day.

However, whenever Valentine's Day comes, I always ask myself the perennially unanswered question, "Why am I still single?" I'm not a jerk. In fact I know I'm good (and I apologize for the egotism). I'm not THAT attractive, but I know I'm decent enough. And yet, why does it seem like I am not loveable in a "romantic" way? I've always contemplated about it thinking that maybe there's something wrong with me or there things that I must change.

Honestly, it bothered me for a time.
But through the years, having spent Valentine's Day just like one of those ordinary days, I've learned to brush it off easily and to dismiss it with the belief that having a romantic relationship may simply not be for me. It has come to my senses that being single doesn't make you any less of a person. One is not defined by the love that he receives, but by the love that he manifests to other people.

While I am not closing my doors on the possibility of spending the rest of my life with "the one," what's important to me right now is that I have my family and I have friends for keeps. I got no reason to feel bad about not being in a relationship, when I have a wonderful family, treasured friends, beautiful nephews, nieces and godchildren to love and to care for.

Now, I probably have to start booking dinner reservations, planning surprises or buying gifts for all of them.

For what it's worth, Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Updates

Quingdom.com